Section: Gentlemanly Pursuits - Blog
It’s 8 o’clock, you’re already late, and the only thing you have ready to wear is your navy suit and a black tie. Sigh...you'll just have to go without a tie and hope the boss is in a good mood...or will you? Fortunately for you, we're here to debunk the top three men's suits myths for good.
Without a doubt, this is the most common, easily made mistake when it comes to suiting up. In fact, there’s probably not a man alive that hasn’t believed this myth at some point in his suit-wearing life.
The truth? In reality, black and navy play well together. A black tie and navy suit are perfect companions.
In conjunction with this myth, how about the "you must wear brown shoes with your navy suit" rule? Wrong. The actual ‘rule’ for pairing shoes with anavy blue suit is to match dark navy with black shoes. Only lighter shades of navy are paired with brown.
You’d be surprised how many men believe suits must be worn with ties. No. Exceptions. Actually, your custom made suit looks damn good with an open collar shirt. In fact, even the jacket alone with a pair of jeans will look the part. Don’t fall into the trap of believing that suits must be accessorised to the hilt.
Now don't get us wrong - ties and pocket squares have their place, and we do love them – but do opt for an open collar shirt and the t-shirt if the occasion allows for it.
Looking good in a suit is not always about the bells and whistles, sometimes the suit can speak for itself. But for the more adventurous, we've even seen a smart jacket adorned with a pocket square and no tie. This casual-sophisticated look is suave as hell and works wonders for attracting the kind of attention you want.
We’d say 99% of men take about 20 minutes to get up, shower, eat and dress in the morning; apparently, the other 1% are taking a day off. So it stands to reason the majority believe we don’t have the time to invest in looking good each day.
We won’t lie; you’ll need to spend a bit of time getting to know a thing or two about style. But once you have a decent amount of quality items in your wardrobe – and a couple of well-tailored suits should top the list – then it’s just a matter of interchanging here and there.
Does it really take that long to choose a blue shirt today instead of your usual white one? Of course it doesn’t. Mix things up with:
You'll be amazed at how a few select accessories help you create an infinite number of looks.
Now, this isn't a myth; it's a solid fact. A good men's stylist can give you advice on the essential wardrobe fillers to help maximise your mix-and-match combinations such as:
What this means to you is never settling for an ordinary look because you'll always have something at arm's reach that is sure to make you look like a million bucks.
We hate to admit it, but at one time, we believed our share of fashion myths as well. However, having styled over 5,000 men at our showrooms, we’re now considered quite the experts in all things sartorial. So if you’re on the look-out for a new tailored suit or even a new personally styled wardrobe, then why not contact us or BOOK YOUR FITTING with us and put these myths to bed.
Montagio did a great job on wedding suits for me and my two groomsmen. Bally provided us with fantastic service and the result was definitely superior to an off-the-rack option... more »
I have bought a total of 11 pieces custom made so far - quality and attention to detail is spectacular, material choice is broad and the input customers have in creating the exact look they want is a great experience... more »
I went back for another suit, a few shirts and some ties. Outstanding! I had so many complements on my new suit yesterday! more »