How to care for your new business shirt. A few tips to extend your shirt's lifespan and comfort
Viewed: 3801 times
Tailor Made FOR EVERY OCCASION
We tailor make mens suits, jackets and shirts for all occasions. Each garment is custom designed, precisely made-to-measure and is guaranteed to fit you perfectly. Unlike others, we offer you end-to-end service and a personalised styling session where we take the time to understand your needs to ensure you get the colour, style and fit you want.
Section: Men's Style
Just like suits, many of our customers ask us what is the best way to care for their new business shirt. In this article we look at a few critical care instructions that are sure to extend the life and comfort of your new shirt - and keep it looking crisp and clean for longer.
click to view
- Before you start wearing your new business shirt, wash it - especially if the shirt is not custom made. There may still be chemicals present which were part of the manufacturing process.
- Be sure to use a detergent you know and trust and be sure your washing machine setting is on the “delicate” cycle. Use cold or lukewarm water (keep in mind that cooler water can help the business shirt retain its colour and shape).
- Before washing, unbutton your cuffs and flip the shirt inside out. If you have a mesh washing bag use that as well.
- If it’s a really good qualitybusiness shirt, hand wash it.
- Never put your shirts in a dryer.
- Dry cleaning is unnecessary and can turn a white business shirt into a shade of yellow. If you’re going to get your shirts cleaned by a professional, always ask that they be “cold laundered and pressed” - not dry cleaned. These days professional cleaning is inexpensive and many dry cleaners around Sydney will cold launder and press your shirts for between $2 to $3 per shirt - a small price to pay to not have to iron!
- Dry cleaning of shirts is only necessary where there may be particularly hard stains to remove - like your girlfriend or wife's make-up.
- Never iron a business shirt that has stains.
- If you’re storing your business shirts, make sure you wash them before putting them in plastic bags since these can keep bugs and odours from getting in.
We hope that these tips give you years of comfortable and confident business shirt wearing.